C is one of the most commonly used programming languages. It is a general-purpose, high-level language (generally denoted as structured language). C is used for creating a compiler of different languages, implementation of different Operating System Operations.
C programming language was first developed by Dennis M. Ritchie at At&T Bell Labs.
There are many applications and software that are programmed in C language. Not only that but also OS systems (Operating Systems) like Unix, DOS, and Windows are also written in C programming language.
It is also one of the few languages to have international standard, ANSI C.
Features of C
- Simple and easy to learn.
- Fast, Powerful & Efficient.
- Procedural Language
- Portable language.
- Structured Programming Language
- Rich Library.
- Mid-Level Programming Language.
Understand the features Individually.
1. Simple and easy to learn.
C is simple and easy to learn the language as it provides a structured Language approach (i.e. to break the problem into modules), its rich set of library functions, a simple set of keywords, data types, etc.
2. Fast, Powerful & Efficient.
The compilation and execution time of C language is fast as it provides powerful operators, variety of data types and it has a lesser inbuilt function and access to direct manipulation with the computer hardware hence makes it more efficient and the first choice for the programmers..
3. Procedural Language
As a procedural language means the language that follows, in order, a set of commands. And in C there are step by step, ordered predefined instructions that are carried out tat makes it procedural.
4. Portable language.
It is also known as Machine Independent Language that can be executed on different machines with particular changes, hence making it portable and Independent Programming Language.
5. Structured Programming Language.
C language is a structured programming language that makes the program debugging, testing, and maintenance easier. This makes users think of a problem in terms of function modules or blocks. The collection of these modules makes a complete program.
6. Rich Library.
C is rich in inbuilt function and Operators that make easier for the programmer to write a complex program easily and help in faster development.
7. Mid-Level Programming Language.
As we understand, that C is a low-level language but however, it also supports the high-level language. Therefore, it binds the gap between these low and high-level language, hence known as Mid-Level Language.
A user can use C programming Language for System Programming that is writing Operating System and can be used as well as in Application Programming that is for creating a menu-driven customer billing system.
Pointers and Recursion provide certain functionality to the program.
- Pointers allow us to directly interact with the memory and is used for function, array, structures, etc.
- Recursion allows us to call the function within the function, providing the re-usability of every function.
Last but not the least feature/advantage of C is its ability to extend itself. C Language is easy to extend due to its ability to extend or add new features in already created applications.
Application of C
- C language is used for creating computer applications.
- Used in writing Embedded software.
- Firmware for various electronics, industrial and communications products which use micro-controllers.
- It is also used in developing verification software, test c_Introduction, simulators etc. for various applications and hardware products.
- For Creating Compiler of different Languages which can take input from other language and convert it into lower level machine dependent language.
- It is used to implement different Operating System Operations. UNIX kernel is completely developed in C Language.
Advantages of C
1. C language is a building block for many other currently known languages.C language has variety of data types and powerful operators. Due to this, programs written in C language are efficient, fast and easy to understand.
2. C is highly portable language. This means that C programs written for one computer can easily run on another computer without any change or by doing a little change.
3. There are only 32 keywords in ANSI C and its strength lies in its built-in functions. Several standard functions are available which can be used for developing programs.
4. Another important advantage of C is its ability to extend itself. A C program is basically a collection of functions that are supported by the C library this makes us easier to add our own functions to C library. Due to the availability of large number of functions, the programming task becomes simple.
5. C language is a structured programming language. This makes users think of a problem in terms of function modules or blocks. The collection of these modules makes a complete program. This modular structure makes program debugging, testing, and maintenance easier.
Disadvantages of C
- C does not have the concept of OOPs, that’s why C++ is developed.
- There is no runtime checking in the C language.
- There is no strict type checking. For example, we can pass an integer value.
- It doesn’t have the concept of a namespace.
- It doesn’t have the concept of a constructor or destructor.